Welcome to my website! I’m Dr Tom Thorpe, a Belfast resident, Belfast Green Badge Tour guide and local historian.
I lead a variety of Belfast walking tours around the city centre. These include:
- People & Places: a general introduction to the fascinating individuals, places and events that have shaped Belfast’s history.
- Diseases & Drs: learn about Belfast’s medical past detailing the plagues and pestilence that affected the health and wellbeing of the population from the 1750s.
- Buildings & Bricks: explore the rich and diverse religious, municipal and commercial architecture of the city centre.
- Queen’s Quarter: discover the interesting buildings, gardens and public art around Queen’s University in south Belfast.
- Belfast Blitz during the Second World War: learn about the aerial bombing raids which extensively damaged Belfast’s city centre and claimed over 1,000 lives during April and May 1941.
- Titanic Quarter and Maritime Belfast: a voyage through Belfast’s historic Titanic Quarter to discover the city’s docks, shipyards, naval heritage and how the Titanic was built.
I also do bespoke tours for individuals and groups
Why choose me?
- I am a qualified professional Belfast Green Badge Tour Guide, certified to deliver walking tours in Belfast as an affiliate of the Institute of Tourist Guiding. I am also a member of the Northern Ireland Tourist Guide Association.
- I am a published professional historian, holding a PhD from King’s College London and having been involved in many local Belfast history projects such as The Men Behind the Glass and Epidemic Belfast.
- I am also a professional communicator, having previously had a career as a public relations professional before I became a Belfast tour guide. I have done many broadcast media interviews as a historical expert, given many public lectures and am an avid podcaster and currently present and produce two history podcasts: the Combat Morale Podcast and Mentioned in Dispatches for the history society, the Western Front Association.